Photo archive (partial)

Buy prints, downloads, or license images from our archives:

The Robertson Tunnel Sunday, February 01, 2009

A blue line MAX train arrives at Washington Park station in the Robertson Tunnel Jan. 31 in Portland.

The 3.1-mile (5.0 km)
Robertson Tunnel convey blue- and red-line MAX trains beneath the West Hills in Portland, Ore. The route opened in 1998 after five years of construction at a cost of $184 million. (Read more here.)

The tunnels are named for William D. Robertson (1947-1997) who was the president of the TriMet board of directors at the time of his death.

[right] Washington Park station displays a core sample collected during the construction of the Robertson Tunnel. The station sits 260 feet below the Oregon Zoo and the World Forestry Center.